Far Shore Consent Refused!
The Friends of Pakiri Beach are thrilled to announce that the McCallum Brothers application to extract sand from the coastal marine area off-shore at Pakiri was refused on 6 May 2022.
This is a fantastic result and we want to thank all our supporters who have donated to our cause.
The Friends called expert evidence and made legal submissions at the hearing held at the Warkworth Town Hall in May last year. A selection of our evidence and submissions are available here:
- Dr Shaw Mead Evidence
- Annex 1
- Annex 2
- Dr Shaw Mead Rebuttal Evidence
- Dr Shaw Mead Expert Caucusing Evidence
- Professor Mike Hilton Expert Caucusing Evidence
- Joint Witness Statement – Expert Caucusing Group
- Friends of Pakiri Beach Hearing Submissions
- Damon Clapshaw Hearing Submissions
- Friends of Pakiri Beach Submissions on Expert Caucusing
- Refusal of Consent Decision
However, the fight is not over as the McCallum Brothers have appealed to the Environment Court and have also filed two further applications to take sand from Pakiri closer to the beach!
The Friends of Pakiri Beach will oppose the appeal, which probably won’t be heard until 2023.
And it is opposing the two further applications, which are scheduled for hearing from 27 July 2022 to 5 August. We’ve got more experts and lawyers lined up to fight those applications but it all costs money, so please give generously. We are a registered charity, so all donations are tax deductible.